Pages

Friday, December 9, 2011

Grandma's Sausage Soup--and why I've been so quiet

It's been very quiet in my little corner of the blog world. I've been sick all week, and it's just getting worse and worse as the week goes on. Unfortunately, it's been a very busy week at school, with a very big important curriculum mapping meeting on Wednesday and then a field trip with my fourth graders yesterday. I've been trying to sleep a lot--aka getting into bed super, absurdly early but then waking up dozens of times in the night--and drink a lot of water, but I'm basically just feeling totally drained and wiped out, as well as all the usual sicky symptoms. Blah.


I decided, however, to make dinner on Wednesday night. We'd ordered in on Monday and just kind of grazed around on Tuesday, so I dragged my tired butt to the grocery store and picked up some supplies for one of my favorite meals ever. In fact, this may be my actual favorite meal ever. I made a double batch of it, knowing it would make tons of leftovers that I could eat for lunches and dinners in the next couple days, when I'd rather stay in my cocoon of Kleenex and juice than cook.


This recipe comes from my grandmother. She was an incredible woman, and when she lived in Illinois when we lived in New Hampshire, one of the things I would look forward to most was the dinner when she would cook this dish. It's so yummy, so filling, and so reminiscent of my childhood. It's the perfect thing for when I'm feeling just icky and sick--and the soup sure feels good on my throat!
Of course, it's still a favorite even when I'm not sick. This is one of my family's classic recipes, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I'm so happy to get to share it with you!

(Please note: the pictures look a little different than they will when you make it, since these pictures were taken while I was doubling the recipe.)

Grandma Munch's Sausage Soup

Ingredients:
*1 pound bulk sausage (for this doubling, I experimented a little--I used 1 pound mild sausage and 1 pound hot sausage. I think Bryan appreciated it a lot!)
*1 onion, chopped
*4 cups potatoes, cut into cubes about 1/2 inch big (when I want to save time, I just use canned diced potatoes and put in about 2 1/2 cans, which is about equal to four cups)
*2 cups water
*1 can sweet creamed corn
*1 can regular corn
*1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
*salt and pepper to taste
*majoram (optional)

Directions:
*Cook the sausage and the onion in a skillet over medium-high heat, until the sausage is browned and the onions are perfectly tender. (Around this time, the whole thing will start smelling so amazing that you'll want to eat it right away. Hold off; I promise.) Drain well.

Getting started! 

All done--and very aromatic!

*Add the sausage and onion mixture to a soup pot. Add the potatoes and the water. (I must admit, I added a little extra water just because of the sheer quantity of the ingredients in the pot.)

So many potatoes!

*Bring the whole thing to boiling, then lower the heat and let it simmer until the potatoes are nice and tender--it takes about 15 minutes during a normal batch and a little bit longer for a double batch.



*Then add the cream corn...


...the regular ol' corn...

...and the evaporated milk. It's starting to really resemble a soup now!


*Then basically just let it heat through, stirring occasionally. I will admit, I turned up the heat, just because there was so much food, and I was way too impatient to let the low heat heat up the whole soup!


Then serve it up, adding more salt and pepper to taste--or any other spice, for that matter; Bryan really enjoys crushed red pepper in his bowls sometimes.

So hungry already. Is it lunch time yet?


Bryan said this was one of my best batches ever. (And, because it's one of my favorites, he has been forced to eat it many, many times.) I think he liked the mixture of the sausage types, so I encourage you when you try this recipe to experiment with different kinds of sausage--plain, mild, hot, Italian, whatever!

When Bryan and I first started dating, he was not the biggest fan of soups. I, on the other hand, counted soups as my favorite kind of food. It's the one kind of food I eat when I'm not as picky about the ingredients--and I can be a very picky eater. He really enjoyed this from day one, partly because, as he said, it's almost more like a stew with all the meat and the veggies. Now, we both lap it up till we are way too full. It's so good that I burn my tongue every single time; I just can't wait till it cools down to take my first bite! My brother and I also have a habit of eating SO much of it, way past the point of fullness, just because it tastes that good.

It's a wonderful Midwestern corn chowder-esque recipe to add to your arsenal for those cold winter nights. Beyond highly recommended from this girl!


And didn't I tell you, a double batch makes tons of leftovers? We each had two bowls at dinner, and we still had six servings left over! Perfect for a lazy sick girl like me!

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm creating a big collection of soup recipes for the cold months ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get to feeling better!

    You won my Shabby Apple necklace giveaway! If you can e-mail me your address and phone number I'll send the info to Shabby Apple so they can send you your necklace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Erica Thanks Erica! It's a great recipe--easy, pretty cheap, filling, and quite yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be adding this one to the collection! Thanks, Katie. Prayers for health. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good. I especially love that its your Grandmothers. Always nice when bloggers share their family recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook Thanks Chris! I hope you try it sometime...it's really quite tasty--and the leftovers reheat really well too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Timberly Thanks Timberly! You're the best mother-in-law!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...